This bright and creamy avocado sauce is delicious on tacos, quesadillas, veggie burgers, and more! With just 5 ingredients, it's a breeze to make.
This avocado sauce is the perfect topping for these roasted cauliflower tacos. Or any tacos, for that matter. It’s smooth, rich, and creamy, with a punch of bright flavor from lime. You only need 5 ingredients to make it, and it comes together in less than 5 minutes. I think it might be a new taco night staple in our house!
The recipe comes from Julia Turshen’s new cookbook Simply Julia, which is packed with 110 recipes for healthy comfort food. Like this avocado sauce recipe (and these cauliflower tacos), each one is simple to make, but filled with flavor. They’re not all vegetarian, but there’s an entire section of vegan entrées and one of vegetable side dishes, with many more meat-free (and gluten-free!) dishes scattered throughout the book.
Another great thing about the book? Julia’s writing. It’s hilarious, comforting, and inspiring all at once, reminding you that, “Delicious food does not have to be complicated.” Want proof? Just try this avocado sauce recipe.
Avocado Sauce Recipe Ingredients
You only need 5 ingredients to make this creamy avocado sauce:
- Avocado, of course! Make sure yours is ripe. It needs to be soft in order to blend into a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Fresh cilantro – Don’t worry if a little stem sneaks in. It’ll blend up fine and add bold flavor to the sauce.
- Lime juice – Its bright flavor cuts the richness of the avocado.
- Mayo – You can taste it here, so make sure to use a good one. I recommend Sir Kensington’s Classic Mayonnaise or Avocado Oil Mayonnaise. Vegan mayo works here too!
- And salt – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
You can make this recipe in two ways: in a food processor or by hand. If you’re using a food processor, just add all the ingredients to the bowl, and blend until smooth.
No food processor? No problem. Add the ingredients to a medium bowl, and mash them together with a fork or potato masher. The sauce won’t be as smooth, but it’ll still taste great.
Taste the sauce and add more salt if needed. Then, enjoy it right away or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a day.
Avocado Sauce Serving Suggestions
My favorite way to use this avocado sauce is on tacos. Julia calls for it specifically in her Roasted Cauliflower Taco recipe, but it would work nicely on these Sweet Potato Tacos, these Roasted Veggie Tacos, or these Mushroom Tacos too.
More Favorite Sauces for Tacos
If you love this avocado sauce recipe, check out Simply Julia! Then, try one of these tasty sauces for tacos next:
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Cashew Sour Cream
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Homemade Salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, mayonnaise, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. If your sauce is too thick, add water, ½ tablespoon at a time, to thin it to your desired consistency. Season to taste with more salt as needed.
- If you don't have a food processor, place the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, mayonnaise, and salt in a medium bowl, and use a fork or potato masher to mash until the ingredients are combined. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add water, ½ tablespoon at a time, to thin it to your desired consistency. Season to taste.