We'll be making this classic margarita recipe all summer long. With just 5 ingredients, it’s so simple to make - break out the tequila & limes ASAP!
This classic margarita recipe is our favorite cocktail to make at home. We love it in part because it’s so simple – if you have tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice on hand, you can make it in under 5 minutes! – and in part because it’s so delicious. The lime juice gives it a tart, refreshing kick, which the sweet orange liqueur (and a touch of agave) balance nicely. On a warm spring or summer evening, there’s nothing I’d rather drink.
If you’re new to making cocktails, this recipe is a great place to start. Mix it up for a happy hour, Cinco de Mayo, or anytime you’re craving a fun drink. You won’t believe how easy it is to make a margarita at home – no margarita mix required! Pass the tortilla chips, and enjoy.
Classic Margarita Recipe Ingredients
To make this classic margarita recipe, you need 6 simple ingredients:
- Tequila – Use any good-quality blanco tequila in this recipe. We like this brand, but feel free to use your favorite!
- Orange Liqueur – We like Cointreau. Triple sec or Grand Marnier would work here too.
- Lime juice – For the best results, squeeze fresh lime juice right before you make your cocktails. I like my margarita to be pretty tart, so I use an equal amount of lime juice and tequila.
- Something sweet – I sweeten mine with agave syrup or homemade simple syrup.
- Salt – For the rim of your glass. I use fine sea salt, but kosher salt could work here too.
- And ice! Because a great margarita is always on the rocks.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make the BEST Margarita
Making an awesome margarita at home is easy! Here’s what you need to do:
- First, salt the rim of a margarita glass. Rub it with a wedge of lime and dip the top of the glass in a small plate of salt. Big tip: Your glass needs to be empty in order to do this step, so always remember to salt the rim of the glass before you pour your cocktail! After you salt the rim of the glass, fill it with ice.
- Next, shake up your drink! Add the tequila, orange liqueur, freshly squeezed lime juice, and agave to a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake to combine. Then, strain the mixture into the glass with the salted rim.
- Finally, taste and adjust. In order to make a cocktail you really love, you’re going to have to taste and adjust. If you prefer a sweeter drink, stir in more agave, simple syrup, or even a splash of orange juice. If you like a stiffer drink, mix in more tequila and Cointreau. I like mine really tangy, just as the recipe is written. Garnish your glass with a lime slice, and enjoy!
Oh, and if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, don’t worry about it! You can just as easily stir together this margarita recipe in a glass.
What to Serve With A Margarita
Tortilla chips, of course! AND a tasty dip. Here are a few of my favorites:
For more appetizer ideas, check out this post!
More Favorite Cocktail Recipes
If you love this margarita recipe, try one of these homemade cocktails next:
- Watermelon Margarita
- Mango Frozen Margarita
- Jalapeño Margarita
- Mint Mojito
- Paloma Cocktail
- Red Sangria
- Mint Julep
- Classic Mimosas
- Sea salt, for the glass
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur (Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for garnish
- ½ ounce agave nectar, or simple syrup, more to taste
- Salt the rim of a glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the edge and dipping it onto a small plate of salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- Place the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and agave in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into the glass. Taste and stir in more agave nectar, if desired.